Japanese wagyu beef recipes you can enjoy at home "Shabu Shabu"
Wagyu Shabu Shabu
Shabu shabu is a perfect showcase for Wagyu,swishing slices of marbled meat in hot broth to enjoy the tender meat.
Makes 2 servings
Wagyu sirloin (thinly sliced about 1.5 mm thick) 350 g
Chinese cabbage 1/3 head (400 g)
Negi (leek) 1 (60 g)
Carrot 1/3 (70 g)
Shiitake mushrooms 3 (30 g)
Enoki mushrooms(or oyster mushrooms) 45 g
Water 1 to 1.5 L
Kombu 10 cm
Sake 100 ml
Salt 1 teaspoon
-Tare Sauce -
Soy sauce 100 ml
Kankitsu citrus juice (or lemon/lime juice) 60 ml
Dashi 50 ml
1. On a portable propane burner, add water and kombu to a shabu shabu pot. Soak for 30 minutes to release kombu flavor. After soaking, bring to simmer over medium heat and remove kombu. Set aside 50 ml of dashi for tare sauce. Season dashi with sake and 1 teaspoon of salt.
2. Chop Chinese cabbage into 5 or 6 mm pieces,cut leek at angle into 1 cm slivers, and chop carrot into 5 mm thick rounds. Cut tough stems off shiitake mushrooms. Cut very end off enoki mushrooms and separate into bite-sized portions.
3. Mix together tare sauce ingredients (soy sauce,Kankitsu citrus juice, dashi) and set aside.
4. Bring seasoned dashi in shabu shabu pot to simmer.Using chopsticks, swish slices of meat around in seasoned broth until just cooked. Dip meat in tare sauce to eat.
5. Add Chinese cabbage, leeks, carrots, shiitake,and enoki mushrooms to pot and simmer until cooked. Dip vegetables in tare sauce to eat.